Friday, October 26, 2007

On Trial: Blue Bustier

Turtleneck sweater and blue bustier, Charlotte Russe. Denim skirt, Gap (overdyed by me). Black tights, Danskin. Blue peeptoes, Wild Diva. Blue beads, Xhilaration.

Today, this blue, striped bustier from Charlotte Russe is on trial. I’ve found this trial process to be incredibly liberating. More and more often, I’m ready to let go of an item even before I hear from you. Still, I enjoy seeing the poll results and reading your comments.

I bought this last January, after lusting after all the chic bustiers I’d seen in stores during the holiday season. I remember having sizing issues when I tried on a few at Charlotte Russe. I couldn’t fasten the small, but the medium was loose. I figured loose was better, as I planned to wear the bustier over blouses.

I’ve worn it three times, with increasing thickness of the layer beneath. I first wore it over a sheer, lace blouse, then over a thin cotton blouse, and finally over this sweater. It is still too big. I’m also bothered by the fact that the construction isn’t exactly square – the stripes take a jog to one side near the bottom. I’m ready to swap it away, but you have one last chance to save it.

What should I do with the blue bustier?
Keep it
Swap it
Alter it (yeah, right!)
Give it to charity
Other - I'll tell you in the comments
pollcode.com free polls


And yes…I’ve heard your requests for more information on swapping clothing. Expect something in the next couple weeks!

16 comments:

Londyn said...

Other = give it to me! :)

I think it's adorable.

Kitty Couture said...

From the picture's perspective, it seems very poorly sewn!
I like the blue, though.
*love* your necklace.

Anonymous said...

The corset looks great with the khaki pants in the picture from the spring. Not so sure about the siny blue satin over the dark turtleneck though. I think this is a cute look, but I'm not wild about *this* corset. I vote to swap.

Anonymous said...

It's such a pretty color - would be a shame to swap!

However, it looks kind of uncomfortable to me.....I'd be fussing with it all the time.

Great dye job on the skirt though!

Anonymous said...

You haven't posted about your garden in quite some time...please I have your garden blog in my favorites as I live close to your area and always get inspired by your lovely work. Cheers and I love that blue color on you. Looks great!

Anonymous said...

The belt confuses me . . . it seems redundant to put a belt on a bustier. Also, while I am a fan of belts for accenting and drawing attention to slim waistlines, in this case the belt seems to rectangular-ize a part of the body which should be curvy. If the bustier were belt-less, it would be more slimming and more attractive.

And . . .I don't think adding layers of clothing underneath a bustier that is too big is going to be a flattering look. It just makes you . . . bulky. It's like wearing three pairs of socks to fit into a pair of shoes; in the end, you just look like you have big feet.

You are a beautiful woman. You don't need clothes that hide you.

Kasmira said...

Hi Anon - sorry about the garden blog. We had an extreme drought and the garden looked like crap all summer. I may have kept most of it alive. I hope to get back at it next spring.

Meghann E said...

I love the top, I say keep it but if you swap it it may go to someone who is in love wit it as much as am!

Anonymous said...

I voted to swap it. The bustier should fit your body and if does not then it has got to go. The color is very nice so exchanging may be best.

Gervy said...

Hhm. Usually I am all in favour of getting rid of clothes that are vexing. However, while I am not a fan of this look (layered over turtleneck), I think the other two looks - with the beautiful blazer and just over the cotton blouse - are stunning. Can you please just try and put up with the discomfort?!

fashion evolution said...

I voted for you to swap it, but wanted to let you know that I think the corset top looked best paired with that turquoise jacket!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I never thought to wear hose/tights with peep toe shoes! I may be unpacking some shoes until it gets super cold out ;)

Anonymous said...

I voted for you to keep it. I think it works best with the velvet blazer and sheer shirt.

SHOEGAL said...

I said swap it - not because I don't like it, it's lovely - but because if it doesn't fit and you don't like the way it lies, best let someone else enjoy it who it does fit.

Kasmira said...

I let fashion lady take the bustier home to try out. If it doesn't work for her (I doubt it will because she's as small or smaller on top than I am), I plan to swap it away.

kct said...

I just wanted to say that I think that you whole outfit looks sexy and pretty!