Saturday, July 25, 2009

Jams World


Jacket, Dex (swap). Dress, Jams World (thrifted). Leggings, Danskin. Boots, Playhouse. Sunnies, Girl Props. Belt, thrifted. Earrings, Pangaea.

When I was in 5th grade, jams (surfer shorts) were all the rage. When I recall the craze to others my age, they repeat “jams” as if it’s a foreign word and look at me like I’m soft in the head. I had begun to think I imagined the trend when I researched the label on this thrifted dress. Jams World is the maker of the original jams shorts! I’m sure mine were knockoffs, but rediscovering the brand was a fun trip down memory lane. Did you wear jams?


This bridge was very slippery and I nearly fell on my ass trying to spin.

Speaking of knockoffs, Sara M clued me in to the availability (finally!) of these imitation Chanel glasses on girlprops.com.

13 comments:

SHOEGAL said...

We called them Bermuda Shorts in the UK, but my friends & I all had them. It would be about 1988 (don't know how that compares with you being in 5th grade).

K said...

Oh yea, definitely had Jams! Lots of OP too.

eednic said...

heck yeah i wore jams back in the day! i was stylin'!

Suze said...

The teachers in the teachers lounge are always discussing how they wore jams- I don't remember though. :(

Sheila said...

I wore OP but not jams (although I wear their cousin, board shorts now, mostly Billabong).

You look very cute in this!

Stephanie said...

I did wear jams! The brighter the color, the better! How embarrasing to look back on that now.

Diana said...

I love this outfit, especially the twirly pic.

I can't remember if I wore jams, but I do remember wearing brightly colored cotton knit shorts.

gina said...

I wore jams! Hot pink, bright yellow, flower-y tropical prints.

Unknown said...

I didn't wear them, but lots of people I knew did. A few years later, I did wear the uber fashionable Hypercolor t-shirts.

Rosie Unknown said...

I'm afraid I'm far too young for that. My generation misses out on all the stupid and awesome trends!

Tara said...

I wore knock-off Jams, but my friends wore the real ones...

Victoria said...

Whoa! How eerie that my husband was just going on about Jams the other day (we did not have that trend in Minnesota where I grew up so I thought he was imagining it) and bam! You have a post about them!

I like the dress better. The whole outfit looks like something my sister could pull off (like you are) but I could not. Cheers!

Carol said...

Where I live they are called 'boardies' and given that I live in a seaside town, they are actually more of a uniform. Walk down the main street of Byron Bay any day of the year and more people are wearing them than not. I hate them, but I love the dress you are wearing. You look incredible!