Saturday, July 24, 2010

You Can Wear It Again

They’ll tell you that you can “wear it again,” but who really does re-wear bridesmaid dresses? This dress, worn in my sister’s wedding was a tragic length and I intended to donate it to Cinderella’s Closet. I still may donate the dress, but first I shortened it and wore it once more.


Dress, Eliza J. Jacket, Adrianna Papell. Shoes, BCBGeneration. Necklace, Serket Jewelry.

Sometime earlier this week, when struggling to decide what to wear to the opera, I realized that shortening this dress would be very simple. It is constructed of bands of ribbon, sewn along the top of each band to a mesh underlayer. All I had to do was cut four rows of ribbon off the bottom. The new bottom band concealed my ragged cuts along the mesh.


Beefy thought that I should cut one more row away…but I think the new length is just right.




Photos by Beefy Muchacho

20 comments:

Diana said...

This dress looks fantastic at the new length!

Kathryn from Schoolmarm Style said...

What a great way to bring new life to the dress. Now I'm wondering why it wasn't that length in the first place.

Unknown said...

I love it! You should definitely keep it.

Zeynep said...

I love what you've done with the length! I would definitely keep it if I were you. :)

ElkeS Design said...

The new length IS just right! Please don´t give the dress away. You look awesome in it!
Greetz from Germany! Elke

laniza said...

I'm impressed by how the accessories give a totally different vibe to the dress--way to go!!

CRibbits said...

Funny how just a few inches take it from bridesmaid dress to fab cocktail dress, I want one!

You should keep it but, either way someone is going to have a great dress.

Melissa said...

FABULOUS idea! I adore that dress in the shortened length! I hope you keep it now that you've discovered it's wearability aside from a bridesmaid dress.

It really is fantastic and I agree that the length is perfect the way you made it.

Hannah | The Outfit Repeater said...

Whoa! Great job wearing it again. I think the length is perfect. This is such a glamorous look!

Anonymous said...

I really love the new length. You should keep it!!!

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

Keep it! (Or send it to me). Loving the new length - fab.

Sheila said...

The length is beautiful now! I love it with the olive sequins, so pretty!

Nara B. said...

you should keep this dress definetely!! gorgeous!!!

Anonymous said...

definitely like the new length. it might look good with a new, bold color if you're looking to further re-vamp it!

Alison said...

Not only do I love what you've done with the dress, that is a terrific jacket as well :)

The Magpie's Daughter said...

Keep it! It's fabulous! :)

Kelly said...

I love your outfit! That jacket and dress are gorgeous together.

I vote for keeping the dress. The new length is *perfect*

KayeStar said...

You should definately give that dress away.... TO ME!!! ;)

It looks awesome with the alterations you did. Perfect to dress up or down.

I also love the backdrop.... great contrast to the outfit.

Lorena said...

Keep it !
Are you kidding, the new length brought new life to it.

Londyn said...

Seriously - you look AMAZING. You cannot give that dress away, but if you do... it needs to come live with me. I promise I will love and cherish it ;)