Monday, January 10, 2011

The Set - India Room

This year, I’m introducing a new feature on my blog: The Set. I’ll highlight one of my recurring photo locations in each entry. You’ll get to see the rest of the “set,” hear a little about the location’s history and/or purpose, and learn the camera settings I use for the site’s conditions.

The first location may be my most used: The India Room.




This room started as a guest bedroom but is now the summer bedroom (as it is on the first floor) and my workwear closet. I store most of my accessories in this room, as well. You can see the closet “in use” in my closet tour video. (The kittens also make a guest appearance!)

I call it the India room because I’ve used a dupatta and saris in the décor. The fuchsia and turquoise dupatta over one window inspired the color scheme. Most of the furniture is actually from Thailand and Indonesia. I used to have a lovely off-white flokati rug on the floor, but the kittens can’t resist soiling it.

This room isn’t as well-lit as it may seem. The only illumination comes from three compact fluorescent bulbs in the ceiling fan. I use my SLR camera (Nikon D40) and a tripod when I shoot here. I turn the dial to the P mode, set the ISO to 800, and use the incandescent white balance. I get the best results when I pose in front of the purple wall. When I stand in front of a white background, I adjust the exposure compensation to anywhere from +.3 to +1.0.

The India Room, through the blog years:

At first, I used the flash…


And then I got good enough with the camera to use only the overhead light…


Of all the rooms in the house, the India Room is my favorite location. The purple wall sets off my outfits well and the remaining white walls reflect plenty of light.

(More about painting that purple wall on my Cincinnati Cape Cod blog.)

21 comments:

Unknown said...

I was always amazed that your pics came out so well in front of that purple wall! Now I know why. Thanks for the tips--I am still a newbie with the camera, so for now I am on auto--but soon I may advance...
Love the room--so exotic!

Michelle {Jarrah Jungle} said...

Thanks for sharing your home I cant wait to see the other rooms. Love the antler come jewellery holder I remember your post about that some time ago. Very creative :)

Jodi said...

this room is amazing.. you sure love color and have such a good eye for it!! I am totally inspired and would love to stay in a room like that!!! woo hoo rock it sista!!xo xj

silvergirl said...

love the room and had to chuckle when you called it your "working closet" Husband has turned our guest bedroom, also on the bottom floor into his closet.

Teodora said...

Now I have to make sure I read each post so I can follow how you use the camera. I have the same and still on automatic :(

The room is out of this world. I am in love with saris - check out my latest post on shopping for saris with my friend.

www.teodoraslookbook.com

Rebecca said...

I lovethe purple walls, and you can definitelt see your style reflected in the decor of that room.

LEONID GUREVICH said...

Wow i LOVE these India inspired rooms. You've got such a great eye for detail.
So glad to see Gustav Klimt's painting framed there too. I have just posted my "Taj" works on my blog. Would love to hear your opinion.
Please continue with the great works that you do

Best,

Leon

Bren said...

what a fabulous room. i have a dressing room also and I looove it! it's the best room in the house... nice to have found your blog!



Bren-
B So Chic!
http://www.bsochic.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

This room is beautiful! I would love to have something like this in my house one day :) Glad to see your love of pattern and colour isn't just confined to clothes either!

Elly

Anonymous said...

I love the antler bangle holder too! Creative! :)
-That anonymous commentor

Julia ♫ said...

So cute!! the room is amazing!

Natalie said...

Kasmira,
I'm so happy you are posting about your rooms! I have always wondered what they looked like. And, what's even better, I have been considering getting Klimt's "The Kiss" for a while now and I think seeing it hanging on your wall finally pushed me over the edge!

Natalie

freeda said...

Love the camera instructions and how the environment affects what you use. I played with my controls some last night because of this post! Tungsten light setting was *weird*!!

Love your furniture.

Michelle @ Dream Home DIY said...

Hello! Im a LONG time blog follower/first time commenting but I just had too on this post. I LOVE this new blog addition...and how brave you are with your decor and color choices. Can't wait to see more!

Jo said...

Great new feature! Love your Indian Room :)

Londyn said...

Fun concept! I'm so jealous of the great light you have in your house - it makes a great backdrop for photos!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kasmira, great post! Love the purple wall and the woodwork (even if it's not Indian) I jsut wanted to add that if you're referring to the long piece of material worn as a scarf by women in India, then it's a "dupatta" not "dupati". Pronounced Dhup-pat-taa :)
-that anaonymous commentor

Yuri said...

this is my favorite location of your photos too! I always love this room, i thought this is your main bedroom, turns out you have 2 bedrooms (one for winter and one for summer, am i correct?). can't wait to see your other rooms :)


http://twothousandthings.blogspot.com

Kasmira said...

Anon - thanks for the correction! I've gotten the word right in the past...but I'll admit I have to look it up every time! (Obviously, I didn't look it up this time.)

http://whatiwore2day.blogspot.com/2008/11/scarf-week-dupatta.html

Anonymous said...

eeeeeeeeeppp!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy you are doing this!!! I love your house. I can't wait to see you profile that sun room of yours. :D

The Tote Trove said...

I love your India Room! It's so artsy and eclectic.