Saturday, July 30, 2011

Let's Go Krogering

When I moved to Cincinnati, I couldn’t find the grocery store. There wasn’t a single familiar name. I grew up with Fred Meyer, Safeway, and Albertson’s. In Cincinnati, I saw Bigg’s, IGA, and Kroger, Kroger, Kroger. It didn’t take me long to learn that “let’s go Krogering,” was code for grocery shopping.


Shirt, Christopher & Banks (thrifted). Skirt, Jack BB Dakota. Belt, Forever 21. Sandals, Aerosoles. Earrings, Monica D. Bangles, Claire’s and Target. Wrap bracelet, Mixit. Bag Charming Charlie.

I used to prefer Bigg’s (because of the muffins), but the store near my house closed. I’m not too broken up about shifting to Kroger because it has a Starbucks inside. Grocery shopping with a latte in hand is much more tolerable than shopping caffeine-free.



Photos by Beefy Muchacho

12 comments:

Meghan Edge said...

I really adore your skirt. I understand what you mean about grocery shopping- at home, it is called "grocery shopping" but when I moved to Philly everyone calls it "food shopping" here (and it's the "food store" instead of the "grocery store").

Steph Barnard said...

Oh, people here don't really say "Krogering," do they?! Eek. I prefer Meijer-ing or Trader Joe's-ing myself :)

Kasmira said...

I believe the verb "Kroger" originated from an old ad campaign. You can still get stickers at the Kroger checkout that say "I've been Krogering."

Chanterelle said...

I remember from my Cleveland childhood the jaunty radio jingle that starts out "Let's go Krogering..."

I Art Fashion said...

Awesome score on the skirt

Megan G said...

We use Kroger because they've added gas pumps with 10cents off your gas every $100 you spend. And my phone plan is through a Kroger affiliate so I get free minutes. Although for actual groceries, I prefer Aldi. So much tasty. Love your bangle stack and those fab sandals.

Teodora said...

One of my favorite outfits of yours! I love your matching accessories!

Teodora
Teodoraslookbook.com

...bill said...

aldi's --> winking owl --> that is all =]

Anonymous said...

Kroger bought Fred Meyer years ago.(Freddy Kroger...)

Anonymous said...

Kroger comes from the guy who started Kroger...Barney Kroger in 1883. It is currently the largest traditional grocer owning over 18 other banners. Kroger allows for those banners to keep their names because of customer loyalty. So, your Fred Meyer was most likely Kroger owned!

Robin said...

"Let's go Krogering" was a commercial jingle from the 80's.(I can still hear it in my head: "Let's! Go! Kro-Ger-Ing!")
I remember it from when I was growing up in Indiana, which is similarly full of Krogers.

Unknown said...

Love this blog! I just moved closer to downtown Cincinnati and I couldn't find anything! I think the first thing I found was a goodwill buahah!