Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Summer Trends: Sparkles for Day

Believe it or not, there are a few office-wear taboos that I respect. I generally shy from exposing cleavage or a lot of thigh. I don’t wear shorts to work. And sequins have never made an appearance. Until today.


Jacket, Adrianna Pappel. Tee, The Limited. Pants, Moda International. Booties, Fioni. Belt, thrifted. Bangles, The Bead Factory and Claire's. Earrings, Aldo. Bag, Mossimo.

Today’s Summer Trends challenge is Sparkles for Day. I suppose I could have gone with something a bit more subtle, but I’ve been dying to get more use out of this olive, sequined jacket.

For office sparkles of any sort, I believe the trick to making it appropriate is pairing the sparkly item with an otherwise conservative ensemble. (Let’s just agree that my interpretation of “conservative” might be different than someone else’s and include things like peep-toe booties, a feathered belt, and giant earrings.)




Photos by Beefy Muchacho

My only other forays into Daytime Sparkles have been my attempts to wear an iridescent, skin-tight dress to work. I’ve topped it with a skirt and jacket or cardigan for a little office sparkle.

Tomorrow’s trend is Eclectic Prints. You know I’ve got that one all sewn up.

9 comments:

Angie said...

I like how you kept the bottom simple to balance the sparkle top.

Sheila said...

I just love that jacket, Kasmira, and I can't believe you haven't worn it to work before now. It looks perfectly appropriate to me!

Alison at Wardrobe Oxygen said...

You have proven that daytime sequins CAN be done. Looks great. I have a black vintage sequined jacket I really want to wear to work but haven't found the right pairing yet... I think your jacket is so brilliant because it's not your basic black or a flashy color. Quite lovely!

Anonymous said...

Love the jacket! I think it is perfect. I have a question, what is your annual budget for clothes? I can't help it I want to know!

Kasmira said...

Anon - my budget is $1200, but I have yet to stick to it! You can view all my purchases and spending for 2010 and 2011 (so far) here:

http://whatiwore2day.blogspot.com/search/label/budget

Megan G said...

Gorgeous sequin jacket. I think the bronze-y color keeps it from shooting into the evening wear look, the modest blouse keeps it work appropriate. Also I think it looks like a peacock feather! The shiny iridescent look with peacock teal. Love it!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty my dear!
Erma in TX

laniza said...

Oh, that lovely sequined jacket is so awesome. Please try to work in into another outfit sooner than later!

Keely said...

So pretty! I love the teal with the olive and the neutral pant. It's all so pretty together.