(Maybe I should just start calling it a “guideline” instead of a “budget.” You know, like the way the posted speed on exit ramps is just the “suggested speed,” not the “speed limit.” At least, that’s what Beefy tells me.)
1. Collins suede platform peep toes in mossy oak, $79.99
I saw these on the feet of Katherine (Get Dressed) and totally bit her style. I kind of died at the price...especially considering these were half off! They are very comfortable and I love the color, but I never would have paid full price for these.
2. Olive suede Libby Edelman peep-toes, $39.99. A girl can never have too many pairs of brownish-green shoes.
3. Peach leather BCBGeneration ballet flats, $29.99. These replaced my old commuting flats. (I’ve actually worn holes through the heels of my (Nine West slippers over the past couple of years.)
4. Richard Chai for Target racerback dress in navy, $34.99
I borrowed my friend Colette’s edition of this dress and was loathe to return it. Instead, I found it NWT on eBay and gave her that one instead (saving me from having to dry clean the one I’d been wearing). I didn’t plan on this purchase in August, but when reader notified me that it was available, I had to pounce!
5. Southwestern turquoise and coral ring, $36.
I have this vision of myself wearing a silver and turquoise (and/or coral) ring on every finger and similar cuffs stacked up my wrists, like some sort of over-accessorized, southwestern hippie. I’m slowly accumulating the pieces needed. Once I’ve completed my collection (and conquered my aversion to wearing that many rings at once), I guess I’ll move to the desert and live in an old VW bus.
St. Vincent de Paul
After spending all that money, I still had the shopping bug. I knew better than to go to Target. Instead, I got my rocks off for $6.99 at the thrift store.
6. Cognac, faux-lizard pumps, $2
7. Purple-blue pencil skirt, $0.50
8. Kimono-esque jacket, $4.49
9. Lela Rose for Payless Isidro Ankle Strap Wedge in green, $25.60
I'm sometimes asked if photographing and publishing my daily outfits prompts me to shop. Honestly, it doesn’t. Instead, I’m inspired to remix the things I already own to create fresh combinations. I’m tempted to shop when I look at other people’s blogs. Seeing an item (especially shoes) styled by a “real” person is so inspiring that I often want to own it. And now I own the shoes worn on Court + Hudson.
I also bought a new winter coat in August, but Beefy told me I don’t have to count that in my budget. It’s utilitarian, like running sneakers, underpants, and pajamas. (Doesn’t Beefy have the best rules?)
August total: $253.55
Total spending for the year: $1082.96