You’ve probably noticed…wrist jewelry is trending. I used to eschew anything clattering on my arm, but I’m now a full convert to a stack of bracelets each day.
Why would you encircle your wrists (and perhaps lower arms) with multiple, moving accessories?
1. Wristwear is the easiest accessory to layer. You can wear two pairs of earrings or maybe three necklaces, comfortably, but you can easily pile ten bangles and a watch on one wrist. It is a simple (and cool) way to participate in the layering trend.
2. One stack of bracelets easily adds interest to an ensemble, in the form of Stacy and Clinton’s mantra: Color, Texture, Pattern, and Shine.
3. These accessories can be seen AND heard. Sure, an annoyance to some, but a joy to others. I love the jingle jangle my wrists make.
4. Bracketing your watch with stacks of bangles suddenly makes a stodgy timepiece cool. (I recommend only combining a less precious watch with loose bangles, due to the risk of scratching your watch’s face.)
5. Bracelets are an easy way to incorporate a bit of nostalgia into your outfit. Add a Silly Bandz to your mix. Wear a braided friendship bracelet from your best bud. Slip on the bamboo bangle you picked up on a tropical get-a-way. Every time you look down at your wrist, there’s a reason to smile.
I began expanding my collection and use of various wristwear almost two years ago. My tips for participating in this trend…
- If, like, me, you use your hands all day at work, consider limiting the bangles and bracelets to your non-dominant hand and wearing only flexible (leather or fabric) cuffs on the other. The cuffs are usually comfortable, immobile, and low-profile.
- Store your collection in the open. I store my bracelets on a set of antlers, but a decorative bowl is another pretty solution.
- Watch for unique or inexpensive bracelets as you shop and travel. I buy bangles at Target, Claire’s, Charming Charlie, thrift stores, import shops, vintage markets, and on vacation. My favorite bamboo bracelets were on clearance for $1 each at the Garden of the Gods gift shop, in Colorado, and I'm always remixing the Moroccan set I bought at Epcot (Disney World).
- Look for styling inspiration. Atlantic Pacific is my arm candy style icon.