1. VCLM Alice in Wonderland inspired charm necklace, $22.50.
I’ve been drooling over the Tom Binn’s Alice in Wonderland charm necklace for most of the year, but I thought the $175 price tag was ridiculous. When I found this knock-off version, I had to make an exception to my nothing-new-in-December rule.
Tom Binn’s necklace on the left and the knockoff on the right.
I have lengthened the knockoff in this photo and also layered it with a tri-metal chain necklace.
2. Two pairs of tights, $20.00
Everything else I bought this month was from the thrift store.
3. Travis Ayers skirt, $3.99
4. Mossimo cape, $9.99
5. Jones New York striped top, $4.99
6. American Eagle gingham shirt, $3.99
I spent $65.46 this month.
My budget for the year was $1200, and I spent $1701.45. 2010 was the first year in which I set a clothing budget at all. What did I learn?
• $100/month is a reasonable clothing and accessories budget for myself.
• I’m willing to blow my budget for quality footwear that gets a lot of use. ($400 of my yearly spend was on two pairs of boots.)
• I need to plan large purchases (like expensive footwear).
• If I feel like recreational shopping, it’s best that I stick to the thrift store, Target’s clearance section, or 15dollarstore.com.
• I almost always spend too much when I go to the mall (especially Kenwood and Rookwood) and when I'm shopping to kill time (like at an airport).
• My favorite place to shop is the thrift store. Second favorite is Google (because it is so easy to find the best price).
• Tracking my purchases (and reporting them to you), has helped me say “no” to many unnecessary items.
In 2011, I intend to continue the $100/month budget and report on my success.