Wednesday, May 25, 2011

LBD: Banana Republic Cocktail Dress

Fellow actors have always warned me against wearing my own clothing on stage. It seems like a good idea at first because you KNOW it fits and you KNOW you like it. But the wear and tear of quick changes and running around backstage can destroy your garments. Additionally, wearing the same thing, night after night, can work like aversion therapy. You never want to wear those items, again. I think that’s what happened with my cocktail LBD from Banana Republic.

I wore it while playing a 1940’s bar hostess (and former call girl) in Noir Suspicions, at a local dinner theater. And then I never wore it again.


It did get one wear (left) before the play.

The dress is still in good condition, but forgotten in the depths of my closet. Is the Little Black Dress Event my opportunity to remember it?

10 comments:

k8irosa said...

I don't even need to see the other LBDs--I hope you wear this one! I just adore the shape and lace.

Anonymous said...

It's a HOT dress. You need to revisit it.

Rebecca

Barbara Bastamb said...

Beautiful dress.

Anonymous said...

Please forgive that dress and welcome it back into rotation! That is a fabulous dress - it has such a classic vibe and is the quintessential lbd. Resurrect it for the Little Black Dress Event! --Christy

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful dress! Wear it more often!

-That anonymous commentor.

rachel said...

This is by far my favorite choice. Of course you need to add some color (to make it more YOU). Maybe a thin patent leather belt in a bright color or pattern around the empire seam. :).

Kat said...

I almost always wind up wearing one (or more) of my own items on stage - shoes, most often, but I've worn dresses, hats, bags, etc. I've never noticed this the 'get-sick-of-it' issue, but have had things damagef.

Even more often, I've wanted to take home something I've worn on stage.

Love this dress on you! VERY pretty and flattering!

Kat

Kasmira said...

Kat - perhaps I developed such an aversion to this dress because our play went SO badly. There was a new disaster every night: forgotten lyrics, pages skipped, a replacement actress (during the run!), no a/c, audience members leaving halfway through!

My Heart Blogged said...

I really love this one on you. I think it's my favorite out of them all.

Kat said...

That would do it! What an Actor's Nightmare!