Saturday, October 15, 2011

80's Misfit

I don’t think I have a 1980’s figure. I’m attempting to rock a vintage sweater, but I really think it’s better suited to someone with broad shoulders and small hips. (I’m just the opposite!)

What do you think? Is there a better way to style this sweater on a pear-shaped figure?


Sweater, vintage (from swap). Skirt, London Jean. Leggings, Danskin. Boots, Vince Camuto. Hat, Target. Pin (on hat), Disney. Earrings, No Boundaries. Bag, Mossimo.



Frustrated, I concealed the troublesome sweater with a cape. But I’d like a better solution!


Photos by Beefy Muchacho

7 comments:

Katharine Coldiron said...

There is no better solution (to ANYTHING) than a cape!!

Carrots said...

First off, I agree with the previous comment that a cape is pretty much a dream solution. :)
I think maybe if you pair it with a bright scarf or long/large necklace, it would downplay the boxy silhouette this top has on your body type. You're the expert, though!
~Carrots

Megan G said...

That's a really cute sweater. I think it would work with some skinny jeans or just go for the whole boxy look and wear some trouser/70s jeans. I know you aren't a pants person, but I think large sweaters look best with 'em. I love the cape!

Anonymous said...

I have broad shoulders and tiny hips. Just send the sweater to me. Problem solved.

Cel said...

You could always do a little sewing? I'd make two short slits up the sides so it isn't so tiny around the hips, and take it in a little around the waist.

Kasmira said...

Celynne - the sweater fits....but it just isn't flattering. It adds a lot of bulk on my upper half. Ideally, that would be balanced by a slimmer lower half, but I'm just not shaped that way.

Emily said...

I have the same problem of loving the big, baggy 80's jumper with little skirt or skinny jeans look, but my shape just doesn't agree! My solution has been to find dark or block colour waist-to-knee skirts to wear over the tops/jumpers, with either a really thick waistband (and then tulip or aline skirt)or if the jumper is thin enough, tuck it into a bodycon skirt to emphasise your shape. Shapeless or not, I still love this outfit and think you pull it off!! :)