Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pass the Mustard

Well, you know it’s fall (and that my hair is back to red*) when I’m wearing mustard yellow.


Shirt, Worthington (thrifted). Skirt, Leslie Faye (thrifted). Belt, thrifted. Shoes, Libby Edelman. Bag, Franco Sarto. Earrings, Pangaea. Sunglasses, Girl Props. Bangles, Epcot Morocco and Garden of the Gods gift shop.

I’m not a huge fan of prepared mustard, at least not until I tried Löwensenf Extra Hot mustard. I can eat it straight out of the tube. I prepare hotdogs just to serve as a vehicle for the stuff. It delivers the best nose burn ever.

I also like mustard seed. I fry them in oil (with fennel seed) before adding cauliflower to make one of my favorite Indian side dishes. You have to watch out, though. Mustard seeds pop just like popcorn in hot oil. I have the tiny burns to prove it.

But back to the color mustard. I find it incredibly versatile. Here, it sobers up this garish skirt.



Photos by Beefy Muchacho

Please excuse the picture overload. I blame my lack of discretion on mustard-related injuries.

*Mustard just didn’t look good with my pale blond hair.

12 comments:

Vanessa said...

Already left you a comment of Flickr, but had to jump over here to once again compliment this look. It's perfect, from the skirt to the animal print belt, etc. I love it (and mustard.)

Cel said...

I don't think the skirt is garish, it's awesome! I can't really wear mustard because I have the same washed out problem since my hair is a dark blonde.

My Own Fairytale said...

Very lovely!

XO Arezu

http://arezuswonderland.blogspot.com/

Megan G said...

That scarf-skirt is just gorgeous. I love the colors of it. Mustard color is so perfect on you. Very few people can wear it so well, but you pull it off flawlessly.

Rose said...

LOVELOVELOVE this outfit! Not a color I wear (because of my blonde-ish/greying hair), but it is fabulous on you!

The Tote Trove said...

I don't think your skirt is garish either. But I understand why you said so, as I too sometimes poke fun at my own style on my blog. Anyway, I love how the blouse brings out the mustard in the skirt. I too enjoy wearing mustard hues, although I hate the actual condiment :)

Debbi@SheAccessorizesWell said...

I have been wanting some mustard colored items here lately after seeing everyone wearing it. I went into one store, asked if they had anything that color and the SA asked what color that was--green? I tried to explain, but she just did not understand!
You look fab with red hair and in this outfit.

...bill said...

It is still summer!

Jude said...

Animal print and that skirt? Pure genius. (applause)

Anonymous said...

Aww, I want that skirt. It's lovely! :)

Sharon

Kasmira said...

...bill, I remember you being in denial last year, too! You must be a summer person.

...bill said...

Not denial--for real--it's still summer!

Summer goes till at least the 21st of September! Depending on which calenders you read, some years it's the 22nd or the 23rd even, but the 21st is always in summer.

..my bday is the 21st so I always noticed the last day o' summer on calenders =]