Sunday, March 25, 2012

Sporty Sunday: Pool-Proof Hair

I love to swim, but the chlorine doesn’t love me back. Because my hair is fragile, color-treated, and long, I do everything I can to protect it from the ravages of an indoor pool.



3 ingredients for Pool-Proof hair: Tap water, conditioner, and a (latex) swim cap.

Step 1: Turn swim cap inside out and keep it handy
Step 2: Wet hair with tap water (or Evian, if you’ve got it!)
Step 3: Coat hair with conditioner
Step 4: Pull hair into knot. (When my hair was short, I just pushed it all towards a spot near the back of my head. The water and conditioner help it stay in place until you get to the next step.)
Step 5: Put on swim cap (Again, when my hair was short, I adjusted my technique a little. I didn’t turn the cap inside out and I just pulled it on, from the back of my head, like a knit cap.)

Sporty Sunday is a recurring feature in which I share my fitness routine and offer and solicit advice. While this content might seem a little out of place in an outfit diary, a healthy, strong body is the foundation of my wardrobe. I hope to inspire my readers to be fit as well as stylish!

4 comments:

Julie said...

Thanks for the tips! I used to swim as a teen but back then I didn't care about damage like I do now. I'm hoping to get back into it so I'll have to test these out.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! Thanks so much! I used to love to swim, but I've been hesitant since I started getting highlights. This might get me back in the pool!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post. I've been wanting to do a triathlon this summer, which means I'd have to add swimming to my routine, but I don't want to damage my long, colored hair. Is there a particular reason you don't use a hair band to secure your hair in the knot?

Kasmira said...

I've never used any sort of fastener for the knot because I haven't needed one. But now that I think about it, leaving the knot unsecured allows it to "smoosh" under the cap so that I don't have such a hard lump in the back. The swim cap and my goggles probably stay on better without the lump. But I don't see why you couldn't at least try a hair band under the cap.