Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Fur Tango

I’m not a follower. This has made partner dancing difficult. I frustrated the men in my attempts at ballroom dancing by fighting for the lead. I gave following another try this evening at my first tango class.


Vest, Vero Moda (thrifted). Dress, Under Skies (consignment). Shirt, American Apparel. Tights, Target. Boots, Steve Madden. Bag, Nordstrom Rack.

For my class, I removed the vest and changed into character shoes. I wore shorts under my dress, but tango is much more reserved than I expected and they were unnecessary.


The class went really well. I received instruction in how to follow for the first time and we spent at least ten minutes just connecting with our partners and paying attention to their shifts in weight. Most of what I’ve learned in ballet is easily transferable to the steps and movements. The trickiest thing was keeping my knees and heels together in proper Argentine tango fashion. Following, once I knew what to do, was the least difficult part of class. In fact, I rather enjoyed letting someone else be in charge.



It probaly helped that, before class, I loosened up with a glass of wine. Room-temperature and white, since I had just left the dentist’s office with another filling. Doh.

>

No comments: