Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Unsuitable

The last time I wore a suit, a bought-as-a-set suit, I was mistaken for a member of the hotel staff. It was my first sales conference and, although we dressed business casual at the office, I thought it would make a good impression to wear a suit to the event. Instead, I was asked to fetch more dressing for the buffet line, directions to the restrooms, and to please turn down the air conditioning in the ballroom. I haven’t worn one since.

Tonight, I was advised to wear a suit to deliver a speech and I responded with the un-suit. The skirt is black, but the jacket is navy, with black leather trim. My blouse is silk, but leopard print. It’s got a tough girl vibe with the chunky necklace and boots. But I still give you directions to the restroom, if you ask nicely.


Jacket, James Jeans. Blouse, FY2 (thrifted). Skirt, Mossimo. Boots, Lauren Ralph Lauren. Necklace, Banana Republic (gift).


Here’s how the un-suit compares to that infamous suit:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like this jacket! It looks sort of purple in the photos, but still looks nice with the rest of your ensemble. Very professional, but not flight attendanty or hotel managery.

~J